Steve Turre is one of the most prolific Jazz musicians going, with over 20 albums as a bandleader, with countless other performances on recordings, television and film going back to the early 1970s. Turre has brought his trombone to sessions for nearly everybody in Jazz. He has been a member of the Saturday Night Live Band for over 30 years. On his latest release The Very Thought Of You(Smoke Sessions Records) he covers the Great American Songbook, Charlie Parker, plays original songs and...
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
This week on The Local Take I speak with Pastor David Richards of New Hope AME Church in Buckhead. The church will celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2019 and they are kicking off the festivities on Saturday, September 15th with a concert open to the public called Jazz On The Green. Pastor Richards explains how the church came to be in 1872 when James H. Smith, a white Buckhead farmer, willed three acres of his property for use as a church and school for newly freed "colored persons."...
Latest News From NPR
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang Dies After 'Serious Illness'
- Stream Brockhampton's New Album, 'Iridescence'
- American Airlines Is The Latest To Raise Checked-Baggage Fees
- Javier Cercas Uncovers The Truth Behind Spain's 'Impostor'
- Shutdown Of New Mexico Observatory Was Part Of Investigation Into Child Pornography
- Florence Blamed For 4 More Deaths As 'Unheard Of Amounts Of Water' Keep Flowing
- Google Warned Senators, Aides Of Hacking Attempts On Personal Emails
- Ugandan Opposition Lawmaker Met With Large Military Presence Upon Arrival Back Home
- What It Looks Like Inside A Classroom In North Korea
- Stuck In Traffic? You're Not Alone. New Data Show American Commute Times Are Longer