Steve Turre is one of the most prolific Jazz musicians going, with over 20 albums as a bandleader, with countless other performances on recordings, television and film going back to the early 1970s. Turre has brought his trombone to sessions for nearly everybody in Jazz. He has been a member of the Saturday Night Live Band for over 30 years. On his latest release The Very Thought Of You(Smoke Sessions Records) he covers the Great American Songbook, Charlie Parker, plays original songs and...
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
This week on The Local Take I speak with Pastor David Richards of New Hope AME Church in Buckhead. The church will celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2019 and they are kicking off the festivities on Saturday, September 15th with a concert open to the public called Jazz On The Green. Pastor Richards explains how the church came to be in 1872 when James H. Smith, a white Buckhead farmer, willed three acres of his property for use as a church and school for newly freed "colored persons."...
Latest News From NPR
- Data Shows A Third Of Applicants For Student Loan Forgiveness Were Denied
- Alice Dunnigan, First Black Woman To Cover White House, Gets Statue At Newseum
- 'Marshall Project' Report Highlights Racial Gap In Juvenile Detention Centers
- Week In Politics: The Allegations Facing Supreme Court Nominee Kavanaugh
- Trump Challenges Woman Accusing Kavanaugh Amid Negotiations For Her Testimony
- Friend Of Christine Blasey Ford Says She Struggled Months Before She Came Forward
- If You Have A New York Public Library Card, You Can Now Borrow Ties And Handbags
- Are North And South Korea Still At War After More Than 50 Years?
- NYT Report Says Deputy AG Rosenstein Suggested Secretly Recording Trump