Steve Turre is one of the most prolific Jazz musicians going, with over 20 albums as a bandleader, with countless other performances on recordings, television and film going back to the early 1970s. Turre has brought his trombone to sessions for nearly everybody in Jazz. He has been a member of the Saturday Night Live Band for over 30 years. On his latest release The Very Thought Of You(Smoke Sessions Records) he covers the Great American Songbook, Charlie Parker, plays original songs and...
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
This week on The Local Take I speak with Pastor David Richards of New Hope AME Church in Buckhead. The church will celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2019 and they are kicking off the festivities on Saturday, September 15th with a concert open to the public called Jazz On The Green. Pastor Richards explains how the church came to be in 1872 when James H. Smith, a white Buckhead farmer, willed three acres of his property for use as a church and school for newly freed "colored persons."...
Latest News From NPR
- Watch A 7-Year-Old Bassist Play Along With Mac Miller
- Indian Authorities Say Flight Crew Forgot To Pressurize Airplane Cabin
- From 'Everything Under' To 'Overstory': The 2018 Man Booker Prize Shortlist
- Kim Wants New Summit With Trump, Moon Says After Visiting North Korea
- Between Chaos And Desire: A Conversation With Christine And The Queens
- FACT CHECK: Can The Senate Enlist The FBI To Reopen A Kavanaugh Investigation?
- Trump Officials 'Did Not Want' Census Survey To Ask About Sexual Orientation
- In Lab Turned Casino, Gambling Monkeys Help Scientists Find Risk-Taking Brain Area
- Octopuses Get Strangely Cuddly On The Mood Drug Ecstasy
- Hear An Early Outtake Of Bob Dylan's 'If You See Her, Say Hello'