Steve Turre is one of the most prolific Jazz musicians going, with over 20 albums as a bandleader, with countless other performances on recordings, television and film going back to the early 1970s. Turre has brought his trombone to sessions for nearly everybody in Jazz. He has been a member of the Saturday Night Live Band for over 30 years. On his latest release The Very Thought Of You(Smoke Sessions Records) he covers the Great American Songbook, Charlie Parker, plays original songs and...
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
This week on The Local Take I speak with Jaisaan Lovett, the 2018 Valedictorian at University Preperatory Charter School for Young Men in Rochester, New York, who was denied an opportunity to deliver his speech at high school graduation by the school's founding Administrator, who never saw Jaisaan's speech(the administrator subsequently retired under pressure). As the first African-American valedictorian at the school Jaisaan was disappointed. He had interned with the mayor's office and they...
Latest News From NPR
- Canada's Wild Salmon Caravan Connects Future Of Fish And Indigenous People
- Hurricane Michael Leaves Many Florida Communities In Ruin
- Pope Accepts Resignation Of D.C. Archbishop Donald Wuerl Amid Sex Abuse Crisis
- In 'My Brother's Husband Vol. 2,' Family Values (And The Value Of Family)
- Squirrel Interrupts London Assembly Committee Meeting
- Police In Louisville, Ky., Arrest Alleged Gnome Thief
- New Music Friday For Oct. 12: Six Albums You Should Hear Now
- Café Tacvba: Tiny Desk Concert
- To Deter Foreign Hackers, Some States May Also Be Deterring Voters
- In Its Final Season, 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' Comes In For A Landing — And Claims Its Baggage