Steve Turre is one of the most prolific Jazz musicians going, with over 20 albums as a bandleader, with countless other performances on recordings, television and film going back to the early 1970s. Turre has brought his trombone to sessions for nearly everybody in Jazz. He has been a member of the Saturday Night Live Band for over 30 years. On his latest release The Very Thought Of You(Smoke Sessions Records) he covers the Great American Songbook, Charlie Parker, plays original songs and...
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
This week on The Local Take I speak with Jaisaan Lovett, the 2018 Valedictorian at University Preperatory Charter School for Young Men in Rochester, New York, who was denied an opportunity to deliver his speech at high school graduation by the school's founding Administrator, who never saw Jaisaan's speech(the administrator subsequently retired under pressure). As the first African-American valedictorian at the school Jaisaan was disappointed. He had interned with the mayor's office and they...
Latest News From NPR
- Cult Icon John Waters On Breaking Taboos And Embracing Villains
- Looking At Matthew Shepard's Artistic Legacy 20 Years After Laramie
- Georgia Republican Candidate Sued, Accused Of Jeopardizing Minority Voters
- Stock Market Struggles To Stabilize After Huge Sell-Off
- Major Health, Safety Problems Found At ICE Detention Facility In Adelanto, California
- Social Media Buzz: Melania Feels 'Most Bullied,' And A Mom's #HimToo Tweet Goes Viral
- Turkey Releases U.S. Pastor After Two Years In Prison
- October 12, 2018: Hour 2
- Apalachicola Residents Survey Historic Damage From Hurricane Michael
- 'Chris Rock's Bring the Pain' Chronicles Rise Of A Comedy Titan