Steve Turre is one of the most prolific Jazz musicians going, with over 20 albums as a bandleader, with countless other performances on recordings, television and film going back to the early 1970s. Turre has brought his trombone to sessions for nearly everybody in Jazz. He has been a member of the Saturday Night Live Band for over 30 years. On his latest release The Very Thought Of You(Smoke Sessions Records) he covers the Great American Songbook, Charlie Parker, plays original songs and...
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
This week on The Local Take I speak with Jaisaan Lovett, the 2018 Valedictorian at University Preperatory Charter School for Young Men in Rochester, New York, who was denied an opportunity to deliver his speech at high school graduation by the school's founding Administrator, who never saw Jaisaan's speech(the administrator subsequently retired under pressure). As the first African-American valedictorian at the school Jaisaan was disappointed. He had interned with the mayor's office and they...
Latest News From NPR
- 'First Man' Captures The Upheaval Leading Up To Armstrong's 1969 Moon Landing
- 'Sing Me Back Home' Showcases The Partnership Between Hazel Dickens and Alice Gerrard
- How Notions Of Sex, Power And Consent Are Changing On College Campuses
- US Stock Markets Regain Footing After Plunge
- Senate Tracker: Democrat Kevin De León Challenges Sen. Dianne Feinstein To Bring 'New Voice' To Cali
- After Hurricane Michael, Resident In Eastpoint, Florida Fears For Local Industry
- Southern California Cities Embroiled In Fierce Debate Over State Sanctuary Law
- World Sees Perilous Month For Journalists
- Tracking Tropical Storm Michael Through The South
- 'Bitter Orange' Keeps The Tension Simmering